What are three things you can do right now to make today a “10”?
Do you have a scale on which you get to rate your day? This is a tool I began using nearly a decade ago. When I started, I had a lot of 3-4-5 days. Then as I began making a more conscious effort about benchmarking the quality of my work day … The number began to grow bigger. I started noting more 5’s and 6’s. Then 7’s and before long I was having 9’s and occasionally … AHA! a “10” day would indeed happen. Perfect!
Today, when I wish someone a happy birthday on LinkedIn or Facebook I almost always remember to wish them a PERFECT day or say “make it a 10!”
What makes for a “10”
1) commit to the belief that YOU decide the quality of your day. Live from within.
2) decide that nothing is permanent, nothing is pervasive; and 99.99% of everything else that unfolds with others has absolutely nothing to do with you personally.
3) realize that you have a choice to write a better story for your day. How will the story read? Are you deciding to write a comedy, a mystery, or a drama? Anyone of them is ok… Just know that the story comes from you not the other way around.
- March profits may not be pacing as high as you’d hoped by today…
- You may have quarreled with your teenager this morning before they left for school…
- Maybe you stepped in a pothole and twisted your ankle getting into your car…
- You may have just received your third customer complaint of the day… and it’s only 9 a.m.
- Is there a parking ticket on your window ?…
C’est la vie… This is life. Say YES to a beautiful mess. Let it be so.
Decide that on the way to perfect there’s going to be a little chaos.
Sometimes more than other days.
So the day may not be perfect … Isn’t it worth shooting for each and every day? Decide on it. Live from within. Here’s wishing you a 10!